Use for intrauterine fetal demise or stillbirth when further cytogenetic analysis is desired, pregnancy loss or termination in the presence of fetal anomalies, further characterization of fetal chromosomal abnormalities seen by conventional cytogenetic methods, multiple fetal losses of unknown etiology, or POC samples that fail to grow in culture.
- Patient Preparation
- Thaw media prior to tissue inoculation. Products of conception in a sterile, screw-top container (Wide mouth containers: ARUP supply #42710) filled with tissue culture transport medium (ARUP Supply #32788). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. If cytogenetics tissue media is not available, collect in plain RPMI, Hanks solution, sterile saline, or ringers.
If autopsy is performed: Facia lata, diaphragm, tendon, skin, tissue from internal organs (if fresh), chest wall cartilage (particularly if macerated) or placenta from fetal side
If no autopsy is performed: Placenta from fetal side is preferred (e.g. villi).
Also acceptable: Umbilical cord or Achilles tendon.
- Specimen Preparation
- Do not place in formalin. Transport products of conception (min: 5mg) in sterile, screw-top container filled with tissue transport medium. If specimen size is too large for a normal collection tube, a larger sterile container can be used such as a sterile urine cup and can be flooded with several tubes of cytogenetic tissue media.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature (fresh tissue or culture flask). Also acceptable: Refrigerated or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Intact fetus. Specimens preserved in formalin. Specimens consisting of maternal tissue (decidua) only. Autolyzed or contaminated specimens.
- If specimen collection time is greater than 72 hours, testing may be compromised. The laboratory will make every attempt to culture the specimen. Send specimen to lab for testing.
- Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Indefinitely
Counseling and informed consent are recommended for genetic testing. Consent forms are available online.
This test must be ordered using Cytogenetic test request form #43098 or through your ARUP interface. Please submit the Patient History for Prenatal Cytogenetics form with the electronic packing list (http://ltd.aruplab.com/Tests/Pdf/65).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2005634||SNP Microarray, Products of Conception||62375-1|
|2005635||EER SNP Microarray, Products of Concept||11526-1|
- genomic microarray
- oligo-SNP array