Useful in the assessment of recent exposure to arsenic, mercury, and lead. For chronic exposure or the determination of arsenic species, refer to Heavy Metals Panel 4, Urine with Reflex to Arsenic Fractionation (0020572). For occupational exposure, consider Lead, Industrial Exposure Panel, Adults (0025016) and/or Cadmium Exposure Panel - OSHA (0025013).
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours.
- Royal blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 7 mL whole blood in the original collection tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in tubes other than Royal Blue (EDTA). Specimens transported in containers other than Royal Blue (EDTA) tube or Trace Element-Free Transport Tube. Heparin anticoagulant. Clotted specimens.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990).
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020098||Lead, Blood (Venous)||77307-7|
- arsenic blood level
- lead blood level
- mercury blood level