Optimize drug therapy and monitor patient adherence.
- Patient Preparation
- Timing of specimen collection: Pre-dose (trough) draw - At steady state concentration.
- Plain red. Also acceptable: Lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.3 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum or plasma separator tubes. Grossly hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 7 days; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month
Therapeutic range: 12-46 µg/mL
Toxic: Not well established
This levetiracetam (Keppra) immunoassay uses the ARK Diagnostics reagents, which has known cross-reactivity with the drug brivaracetam (Briviact) and may report inaccurate results. Patients transitioning from levetiracetam to brivaracetam or those who are using both medications should not monitor drug concentrations with the ARK Diagnostics assay. These patients should be monitored using a validated chromatographic methodology that distinguishes between drugs to determine drug concentrations.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- keppra blood concentration
- Keppra concentration
- Keppra level, Keppra blood level