May use to predict survival in patients treated for metastatic breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers. May use to evaluate response to therapy.
- Patient Preparation
- If the patient is on doxorubicin therapy, allow at least 1 week following administration of a dose of doxorubicin before blood draw.
- 2 CellSave Preservative tubes (ARUP supply # 44867) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 8 mL per tube)
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 20 mL whole blood. (Min: 16 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens not collected in the CellSave tube or collected in expired CellSave tubes. Short draws.
- Submit with Order: Source of metastatic cancer. This assay is FDA approved only for breast, colorectal, or prostate metastatic cancers; other types will not be tested.
- Ambient: 4 days; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
For additional information, refer to the Breast Cancer Management Assays, Prostate Cancer, or Colorectal Cancer topic at arupconsult.com.
The results of a CellSearch™ test should be interpreted with caution if specimens are drawn within 7 days of administration of doxorubicin therapy.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0093400||Circulating Tumor Cell Number|
|0093401||Patient History - Metastatic Cancer Type||63929-4|
|2007444||EER Circulating Tumor Cell Count||11526-1|
- Cell Search
- Circulating Tumor Cells, Breast, Colon, Prostate