Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), Whole Blood
Ordering Recommendation

Use for nutritional assessment of vitamin B1 (thiamine).

Quantitative High Performance Liquid Chromatography
2-4 days
New York DOH Approval Status
This test is New York DOH approved.
Submit With Order
ARUP Consult®
Disease Topics
Specimen Required
Patient Preparation
Green (Sodium or Lithium Heparin), Lavender (EDTA), or Pink (K2EDTA). 
Specimen Preparation
Transfer 3 mL whole blood to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.6 mL) 
Storage/Transport Temperature
CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered. 
Unacceptable Conditions
Any specimen other than whole blood. Plasma separator tubes. Glass tubes. Clotted or non-frozen specimens. 
Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 4 hours; Frozen: 6 months 
Reference Interval
70-180 nmol/L
Interpretive Data
This assay measures the concentration of thiamine diphosphate (TDP), the primary active form of vitamin B1. Approximately 90 percent of vitamin B1 present in whole blood is TDP. Thiamine and thiamine monophosphate, which comprise the remaining 10 percent, are not measured.

Statement B: Compliance Statement B: For laboratory developed tests not using a RUO kit, and for FDA approved, cleared or 510(k) exempt assays with alterations. This test was developed and its performance characteristics determined by ARUP Laboratories. The U. S. Food and Drug Administration has not approved or cleared this test; however, FDA clearance or approval is not currently required for clinical use. The results are not intended to be used as the sole means for clinical diagnosis or patient management decisions.

Whole blood is the preferred specimen for thiamine assessment.  Approximately 80 percent of thiamine present in whole blood is found in red blood cells. 
Hotline History
Component Test Code*Component Chart NameLOINC
0080388Vitamin B1, Whole Blood74444-1
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please view this test within the Laboratory Test Directory found at
  • B1 Vitamin
  • TDP
  • Thiamin Pyrophosphate
  • Thiamine
  • Thiamine Diphosphate
  • TPP
  • VITB1