Identify mycobacterial isolates, including requests for speciation within the M. tuberculosis complex.
- Patient Preparation
- Actively growing organism, in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag. Transport sealed container with pure culture on solid or in liquid media.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. If culture is suspected of being a microorganism identified on the IATA list as an infectious substance affecting humans, submit specimen according to Infectious Substance, Category A, shipping guidelines.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms. Organisms submitted on an agar plate.
- Indicate source of organism and any other pertinent information, such as the growth rate of the organism or DNA probe results.
- Ambient: 2 weeks; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 2 weeks
A processing fee will be billed for all organisms submitted that are not in pure culture, as indicated in specimen requirements.
Identification of AFB isolates is billed by individual tests performed.
Probes can be performed directly from Middlebrook 7H9 broth. MGIT is not suitable for direct probe testing.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- AFB identification by sequencing, 16S rRNA
- M. tuberculosis identification
- Mycobacterium tuberculosis Probe