Reference method for identification of most bacterial species.
- Patient Preparation
- Actively growing isolated organism, in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport sealed container with pure culture on agar slant or in bacterial transport media.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. If culture is suspected of being a microorganism identified on the IATA list as an infectious substance affecting humans, submit specimen according to Infectious Substance, Category A, shipping guidelines.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms.
- Specimen source required. Indicate suspected pathogen.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
For suspected agents of bioterrorism, Salmonella, or Shigella, notify your state department of health and refer isolates to your state laboratory for identification. For identification of Shiga-like toxin producing E. coli, order test E. coli Shiga-like toxin by EIA (ARUP test code 0060047).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060720||Organism Identification by 16S rDNA||66885-5|
- 16S Ribosomal DNA (rDNA) Sequencing
- Bacterial sequencing