Gold-standard testing for epidemiological investigation of infectious outbreaks.
- Patient Preparation
- Multiple bacterial isolates that are epidemiologically related or are recurrent isolates from the same patient.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport individual isolates on agar slants or on swabs in bacterial transport media. Package isolates together in a sealed container.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms.
- Contact the Microbiology Laboratory at (800) 242-2787, extension 2576, prior to submission of the isolates. Collect multiple bacterial isolates that are epidemiologically related or are recurrent isolates from the same patient. One report will be generated for each batch tested; billing is per isolate. Order one test, using "Infection control, ####" (your ARUP client number) as the patient name. Include a list of isolate identifiers (do not use patient names) on the requisition or as an order note for electronic orders. Identifiers on the requisition must match identifiers on the isolate samples.
- Isolate: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060182||Strain Characterization - PFGE||612-2|
|2003188||EER Strain Characterization - PFGE|
- Bacterial Typing
- Epidemiology Typing
- Molecular Typing
- Pulsed-Field Gel Electrophoresis
- Strain Typing