Preferred test for suspected bacterial diarrhea evaluation. Testing includes cultures for Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, E. coli O157, and EIA for Shiga-like toxin from E. coli. Can be used to rule out Aeromonas and Plesiomonas; specify the pathogen to rule out. For C. difficile testing, refer to Clostridium difficile toxin B gene (tcdB) by PCR (2002838).
Preliminary: Negative at 2 days or as soon as positive detected
Final: Negative at 3 days
- Patient Preparation
- Specimen Preparation
- Place 5 mL stool in enteric transport media (Cary-Blair, ARUP supply #29799) immediately after collection. Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Multiple specimens (more than one in 24 hours). Delayed transport without use of appropriate transport media.
- In transport media: Ambient: 1 hour; Refrigerated: 72 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable
Culture negative for Salmonella, Shigella, Campylobacter, and E. coli 0157.
If an isolate requires testing for Shiga-like toxin (e.g., STEC), refer to E.coli Shiga-like Toxin by EIA (ARUP test code 0060047).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Culture, Stool
- E. coli O157:H7 Culture
- Enteric Pathogens Culture, Stool
- Feces Culture, Routine