Preferred reflex test to detect Lyme disease in individuals with ≤4 weeks of clinical symptoms or exposure to tick. Positive/equivocal screen confirmed by immunoblot.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.15 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- CSF or plasma. Contaminated, heat-inactivated, hemolyzed, or severely lipemic specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0050216||Borrelia burgdorferi Antibodies, Total by ELISA|
|0050255||Borrelia burgdorferi Antibody, IgG by Immunoblot||Effective August 15, 2011|
|0050253||Borrelia burgdorferi Antibody, IgM by Immunoblot||Effective August 15, 2011|
A negative result indicates the immunoblot evaluation for B. burgdorferi antibody demonstrates no antibodies unique to B. burgdorferi and is, therefore, not supportive of Lyme disease.
A positive result indicates that the immunoblot evaluation for B. burgdorferi antibody is consistent with the presence of antibody produced by patients in response to infection by B. burgdorferi and suggests the presence of Lyme disease. Although the test has been shown to have a high degree of reliability for diagnostic purposes, laboratory data should always be correlated with clinical findings.
Current CDC recommendations for the serological diagnosis of Lyme disease are to screen with a polyvalent ELISA test and confirm equivocals and positives with immunoblot. Both IgM and IgG immunoblots should be performed on specimens obtained less than 4 weeks after appearance of erythema migrans. Only IgG immunoblot is to be performed on specimens greater than 4 weeks after disease onset. IgM immunoblot in the chronic stage is not recommended and does not aid in the diagnosis of neuroborreliosis or chronic Lyme disease.
If ELISA result is 1.00 LIV or greater, then IgG and IgM immunoblot will be added. Additional charges apply.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050216||Borrelia burgdorferi Abs, Total by ELISA||5060-9|
- Early Lyme Disease Ab Reflex
- Lyme Disease
- Lyme Disease Ab, ELISA to Western Blot
- Lyme Disease Reflex Panel, Early Disease
- Lyme Disease, Acute Reflexive Panel