Useful in the assessment of acute and chronic exposure to arsenic, cadmium, copper, mercury, lead, and zinc. The preferred test for the assessment of lead exposure is Lead, Blood (Venous) (0020098). For occupational exposure, consider Lead, Industrial Exposure Panel, Adults (0025016) and/or Cadmium Exposure Panel - OSHA (0025013).
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours. Collection from patients receiving iodinated or gadolinium-based contrast media must be avoided for a minimum of 72 hours post-exposure. Collection from patients with impaired kidney function should be avoided for a minimum of 14 days post-contrast media exposure.
- 24 Hour Urine. Refrigerate during collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container. Also acceptable: Random Urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected within 72 hours after administration of iodinated or gadolinium-based contrast media. Acid preserved urine. Specimens transported in containers other than specified. Specimens contaminated with blood or fecal material.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990-Barcode; #32991-No Barcode). Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0025000||Arsenic, Urine with Reflex to Fractionated||Effective November 13, 2017|
|0025040||Cadmium, Urine||Effective November 13, 2017|
|0020461||Copper, Urine||Effective November 13,2017|
|0025060||Lead, Urine||Effective November 12,2018|
|0025050||Mercury, Urine||Effective November 12,2018|
|0020462||Zinc, Urine||Effective November 13,2017|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020100||Copper, Urine - per volume||5632-5|
|0020101||Copper, Urine - per 24h||5633-3|
|0020102||Zinc, Urine - per volume||21610-1|
|0020103||Zinc, Urine - per 24h||5765-3|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0025001||Arsenic Urine - per volume||5586-3|
|0025002||Arsenic Urine - per 24h||5587-1|
|0025038||Cadmium, Urine - ratio to CRT||13828-9|
|0025041||Cadmium, Urine - per 24h||5612-7|
|0025042||Cadmium, Urine - per volume||5611-9|
|0025051||Mercury, Urine - per 24h||6693-6|
|0025052||Mercury, Urine - per volume||5689-5|
|0025054||Mercury, Urine - ratio to CRT||13465-0|
|0025058||Arsenic, Urine - ratio to CRT||13463-5|
|0025061||Lead, Urine - per 24h||5677-0|
|0025062||Lead, Urine - per volume||5676-2|
|0025063||Zinc, Urine - ratio to CRT||27201-3|
|0025064||Copper, Urine - ratio to CRT||13829-7|
|0025065||Lead, Urine - ratio to CRT||13466-8|
- As fractionation
- heavy metals urine screen
- Inorganic As
- methylated As
- Organic As