Useful in the assessment of acute and chronic exposure to arsenic, cadmium, copper, mercury, lead, and zinc. The preferred test for the assessment of lead exposure is Lead, Blood (Venous) (0020098). For occupational exposure, consider Lead, Industrial Exposure Panel, Adults (0025016) and/or Cadmium Exposure Panel - OSHA (0025013).
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician), and avoid shellfish and seafood for 48 to 72 hours. High concentrations of iodine may interfere with elemental testing. Collection of urine specimens from patients receiving iodinated or gadolinium-based contrast media should be avoided for a minimum of 72 hours post-exposure. Collection from patients with impaired kidney function should be avoided for a minimum of 14 days post- contrast media exposure.
- 24-hour or random urine collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container and should be refrigerated during collection. ARUP studies indicate that refrigeration of urine alone, during and after collection, preserves specimens adequately if tested within 14 days of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Urine collected within 72 hours after administration of iodinated or gadolinium-based contrast media. Acid preserved urine. Specimens contaminated with blood or fecal material. Specimen transported in non-trace element free transport tube (with the exception of the original device).
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990-Barcode; #32991-No Barcode). Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0025000||Arsenic, Urine with Reflex to Fractionated||Effective November 13, 2017|
|0025040||Cadmium, Urine||Effective November 13, 2017|
|0020461||Copper, Urine||Effective November 13,2017|
|0025060||Lead, Urine||Effective November 12,2018|
|0025050||Mercury, Urine||Effective November 12,2018|
|0020462||Zinc, Urine||Effective November 13,2017|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020100||Copper, Urine - per volume||5632-5|
|0020101||Copper, Urine - per 24h||5633-3|
|0020102||Zinc, Urine - per volume||21610-1|
|0020103||Zinc, Urine - per 24h||5765-3|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0025001||Arsenic Urine - per volume||5586-3|
|0025002||Arsenic Urine - per 24h||5587-1|
|0025038||Cadmium, Urine - ratio to CRT||13828-9|
|0025041||Cadmium, Urine - per 24h||5612-7|
|0025042||Cadmium, Urine - per volume||5611-9|
|0025051||Mercury, Urine - per 24h||6693-6|
|0025052||Mercury, Urine - per volume||5689-5|
|0025054||Mercury, Urine - ratio to CRT||13465-0|
|0025058||Arsenic, Urine - ratio to CRT||13463-5|
|0025061||Lead, Urine - per 24h||5677-0|
|0025062||Lead, Urine - per volume||5676-2|
|0025063||Zinc, Urine - ratio to CRT||27201-3|
|0025064||Copper, Urine - ratio to CRT||13829-7|
|0025065||Lead, Urine - ratio to CRT||13466-8|
- As fractionation
- heavy metals urine screen
- Inorganic As
- methylated As
- Organic As