Screen for erythropoietic protoporphyria (EPP) in patients with cutaneous photosensitivity.
- Patient Preparation
- Royal blue (EDTA), lavender (EDTA), pink (K2EDTA), or Tan ( K2EDTA). Use royal blue tube when also testing for lead.
- Specimen Preparation
- Protect from light during collection, storage, and shipment. Transfer 1 mL whole blood to an ARUP Amber Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens not collected in EDTA. Clotted specimens.
- Specimen should be tested for lead FIRST to avoid potential contamination problems. Specimens not protected from light acceptable with a disclaimer.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020607||Erythrocyte Porphyrin (EP)||2898-5|
- Free Erythrocyte Porphyrin
- Porphyrins (FEP)
- Protoporphyrin, Free Erythrocyte (FEP)
- Protoporphyrins, Total, Erythrocytes
- RBC Porphyrins
- Red Blood Cell Porphyrins