May be useful in the assessment of copper overload or response to copper-reducing therapies. Directly measures the free (non-ceruloplasmin bound) fraction of copper. For the complete assessment of copper overload, Wilson Disease Screening Panel, Serum (0020598) is preferred.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (no additive).
- Specimen Preparation
- Centrifuge. Transfer 2.5 mL serum to an ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tube. (Min: 1.5 mL) Do not allow serum to remain on cells.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Separator tubes. Specimens that are not separated from the red cells or clot.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020596||Copper, Serum Free (Direct)||5631-7|
- Copper Index
- Cu, Plasma
- Free copper
- Non-Ceruloplasmin Bound Copper
- Unbound Copper