Useful in the assessment of overload. For the complete assessment of copper overload, Wilson Disease Screening Panel, Serum (0020598) is preferred.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician). Collection from patients receiving iodinated or gadolinium-based contrast media must be avoided for a minimum of 72 hours post-exposure. Collection from patients with impaired kidney function should be avoided for a minimum of 14 days post contrast media exposure.
- 24 Hour Urine. Refrigerate during collection. Specimen must be collected in a plastic container. Also acceptable: Random Urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer an 8 mL aliquot from a well-mixed collection to ARUP Trace Element-Free Transport Tubes (ARUP supply #43116). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Refrigerated. Also acceptable: Room temperature or frozen.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected within 72 hours after administration of iodinated or gadolinium-based contrast media.. Acid preserved urine. Specimens transported in containers other than specified. Specimens contaminated with blood or fecal material.
- Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and on test request form.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|Copper, Urine-per volume||0.3-3.2 µg/dL|
|Copper, Urine-per 24h||3.0-45.0 µg/d|
| ||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|Copper, Urine-ratio to CRT||10.0-45.0 µg/gCRT|
Although random specimens may contain diagnostic information, a 24-hour collection is a more consistent indicator of copper urine.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020100||Copper, Urine - per volume||5632-5|
|0020101||Copper, Urine - per 24h||5633-3|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume||2161-8|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h||2162-6|
|0025064||Copper, Urine - ratio to CRT||13829-7|
- 24-hour urine copper
- Copper/Creatinine Ratio, Urine
- Normalized Urine Copper
- Normalized Urine Cu