Optimize drug therapy and monitor patient adherence.
- Patient Preparation
- Timing of specimen collection: Pre-dose (trough) draw - At steady state concentration.
- Plain red. Also acceptable: Lavender (K2 or K3EDTA) or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood. Gel separator tubes, light blue (citrate), or yellow (SPS or ACD solution).
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 5 weeks; Refrigerated: 2 months; Frozen: 2 months
|Therapeutic Range||Not well established|
|Toxic Level||Total Clozapine and Metabolites: Greater than or equal to 1500 ng/mL|
Toxicity: Toxic ranges are not well established. Serum/plasma concentrations greater than or equal to 1500 ng/mL (clozapine, norclozapine and clozapine-N-oxide combined) may cause drug-induced agranulocytosis, Stevens-Johnson syndrome, seizures, hypotension, cardiovascular abnormalities, drowsiness, and death.
Therapeutic and toxic ranges are not well established in children.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2013458||Clozapine, S/P, Quant||6896-5|
|2013459||Norclozapine, S/P, Quant||10992-6|
|2013460||Clozapine-N-Oxide, S/P, Quant|
|2013461||Total Clozapine and Metabolites|