• This 4th generation test screens for HIV-1 p24 antigen and antibodies to HIV-1 (groups M and O) and HIV-2. Repeatedly reactive HIV-1, 2 antigen/antibody screening results will reflex to an HIV-1/HIV-2 antibody differentiation test.
•This test does not complete the 2014 CDC Recommended Algorithm for Laboratory Diagnosis of HIV Infection. Preferred test is Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Combo Antigen/Antibody (HIV-1/O/2) by ELISA, Reflexive Panel (2012674).
- Patient Preparation
- Serum Separator Tube (SST). Also acceptable: Green (Sodium or Lithium Heparin), Lavender (EDTA), Pink (K2EDTA), Red (Clot Activator), or Plasma Separator Tube (PST).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum into an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Remove particulate material.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens containing particulate material. Severely hemolyzed or heat-inactivated specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Indefinitely (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|HIV 1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody||Negative|
|2013107||Human Immunodeficiency Virus Types 1 and 2 (HIV-1/2) Antibody Differentiation, Supplemental|
The reflexed HIV-1/ HIV-2 Antibody Differentiation test discriminates between HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies. Results for each type are reported.
If the HIV-1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody screen is repeatedly reactive, then the HIV-1/ HIV-2 Antibody Differentiation test will be performed. Additional charges apply. A recommendation to order further testing on a separate specimen for HIV-1 Nucleic Acid will be made for certain results. This multi-test algorithm was proposed by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and adopted by the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) for the diagnosis of HIV.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012675||HIV 1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody||56888-1|
- 4th generation
- Fourth generation HIV
- HIV 1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody
- HIV Diagnosis
- HIV Geenius
- HIV-1 & 2 Antibody Differentiation
- HIV-1 Antibody by Geenius
- HIV-1,2 Combo Antigen/Antibody
- HIV-2 Antibody by Geenius
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus (HIV) Combo Antigen/Antibody