Use to identify cells of monocytic derivation and in the work up of acute myeloid leukemia.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), Green (Lithium Heparin), or Green (Sodium Heparin). Also acceptable: Heparinized Bone Marrow Aspirate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Blood: Protect from light. Transport 5 mL whole blood AND 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained push smears made from the blood submitted. (Min: 1 mL AND 6 unfixed smears).
OR Bone Marrow: Protect from light. Transport 1 mL heparinized aspirate AND 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained bone marrow aspirate smears. (Min: 0.5 mL AND 6 unfixed smears).
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Specimens should be received within 24 hours of collection; testing must be performed within 48 hours of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Peripheral blood smears older than one year. Anticoagulated blood or bone marrow sent without well-prepared unfixed smears older than 48 hours.
- Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2013278||Esterase Nonspec Cytochem Stain Only|
- Non-Specific Esterase (stain and return)
- NSE Butyrate (technical only)