Use to identify hairy cell leukemia.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), Green (Lithium Heparin), or Green (Sodium Heparin). Also acceptable: Heparinized Bone Marrow Aspirate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained push smears AND 5 mL whole blood (smears should be made from the blood submitted). OR transport 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained bone marrow aspirate smears. Protect from light.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Blood specimens must be received within 24 hours of collection; testing must be performed within 48 hours of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Peripheral blood smears older than one year. Anticoagulated blood or bone marrow sent without well-prepared unfixed smears if greater than 48 hours.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2013276||TRAP Cytochem Stain Only|
- Hairy Cell Leukemia (HCL) stain and return
- Trap Stain (technical only)