Use to identify cells of myeloid lineage in work up of acute myeloid leukemias and identify myeloperoxidase deficiency in mature neutrophils in immunodeficiency states.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), Green (Lithium Heparin), or Green (Sodium Heparin). Also acceptable: Heparinized Bone Marrow Aspirate.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained push smears AND 5 mL whole blood (smears should be made from the blood submitted). OR 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained bone marrow aspirate smears.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Blood specimens must be received within 24 hours of collection; testing must be performed within 48 hours of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Peripheral blood smears older than one week. Anticoagulated blood or bone marrow sent without well-prepared unfixed smears if greater than 48 hours old.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2013274||Myeloperoxidase Cytochem Stain Only|
- MPO (stain and return)
- Peroxidase Stain (technical only)