Use only when patient has a repeatedly reactive third- or fourth-generation HIV screen test result. This test discriminates between HIV-1 and HIV-2 antibodies.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), or Pink (K2 EDTA). Also acceptable: Serum Separator Tube (SST).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma into an ARUP Standard Transport Tube dedicated only for HIV testing. (Min: 0.5 mL) Remove particulate material.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens containing particulate material. Severely hemolyzed or heat-inactivated specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: Indefinitely (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
A multi-test algorithm is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) for the diagnosis of HIV (refer to http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/HIV.html).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012670||HIV-1/2 Ab Differentiation Immunoassay||8251-1|
|2012673||HIV Serologic Interpretation||80203-3|
- HIV Diagnosis
- HIV Multispot
- HIV-1 & 2 Antibody Differentiation
- HIV-1 and HIV-2 Antibody Differentiation
- HIV-1 Antibody by Multispot
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1/2 (HIV-1/2) Antibody, Differentiation