Detect and quantify herpesvirus 8 (HHV-8).
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), Pink (K2 EDTA), or Serum Separator Tube (SST).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells. Transport 1 mL plasma, serum, or whole blood in a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 year
A negative result (less than 3.8 log copies/mL or less than 6,670 copies/mL) does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen or HHV8 DNA concentrations below the level of detection of the test. Inhibition may also lead to underestimation of viral quantitation.
No international standard is currently available for calibration of this assay. Caution should be taken when interpreting results generated by different assay methodologies.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2013090||HHV8 by Quantitative PCR, Source||31208-2|
|2013091||HHV8 by Quantitative PCR, Copy/mL||49404-7|
|2013092||HHV8 by Quantitative PCR, Log copy/mL|
|2013093||HHV8 by Quantitative PCR, Interp||39083-1|
- Viral load monitoring, Kaposi's sarcoma herpes virus (KSHV)