Use in individuals diagnosed with or suspected of having papillary or follicular thyroid carcinoma in conjunction with cytologic or histologic and clinical information. Detects mutations (BRAF, KRAS, NRAS, and HRAS genes) and translocations (RET-CCDC6(PTC1), RET-NCOA4(PTC3), and PAX8-PPARG).
Assay: Mon, Thu
- Patient Preparation
- Tumor tissue.
- Specimen Preparation
- Formalin fix (10 percent neutral buffered formalin) and paraffin embed tissue. Protect from excessive heat. Transport tissue block or 5 unstained 5-micron slides. (Min: 3 slides) Tissue block will be returned after testing.
A Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA) smear may also be submitted. Prepare FNA smear with Diff-Quik or equivalent stain by standard methods (air-dried slides are preferred). Number of slides needed is dependent on the tumor cellularity of the smear. (Min: 2 slides) Slides will be destroyed during testing process and will not be returned to client.
Transport of a block and/or slide(s) in a tissue transport kit is preferred (ARUP supply #47808) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
FNA specimens stored in saline, PreservCyt or CytoLyt are also acceptable.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated. Ship in cooled container during summer months.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Less than 25 percent tumor. Specimens fixed/processed in alternative fixatives (alcohol, Prefer) or heavy metal fixatives. Decalcified specimens. FNA smears with less than 50 tumor cells.
- Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
FNA in Saline: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours ; Frozen: Acceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012756||BRAF Mutation Detection, Thyroid||58483-9|
|2012757||KRAS Mutation Detection, Thyroid||21702-6|
|2012758||NRAS Mutation Detection, Thyroid||21719-0|
|2012759||HRAS Mutation Detection, Thyroid||21698-6|
|2012761||RET-PTC Translocation Detection, Thyroid|
|2012763||PAX8-PPARG Translocation, Thyroid|
|2012765||Thyroid Panel Result Summary||35474-6|