Useful as a supplemental assay for repeatedly reactive third- or fourth-generation HIV screen tests, when following the CDC Proposed HIV Diagnostic Algorithm. This test cannot be used as a rapid screen nor as a follow-up for a positive rapid screen.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 3 mL plasma into an ARUP Standard Transport Tube dedicated only for HIV testing. (Min: 1.5 mL) Remove particulate material.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Serum. Heparinized or citrated plasma specimens. Specimens submitted in plasma preparation tube. Specimens containing particulate material. Severely hemolyzed or heat-inactivated specimens.
- This test requires a dedicated tube of EDTA plasma submitted only for HIV testing.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 6 days; Frozen: 6 weeks (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|0055598||Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 by Quantitative PCR||Not detected|
If the HIV-1/ 2 Antibody Differentiation Immunoassay is Negative or Indeterminate, then the Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 by Quantitative PCR will be added. Additional charges apply. Refer to Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1 by Quantitative PCR (0055598) for additional information regarding Performed or Reported times, Interpretive Data and Notes for the reflex test.
The multi-test algorithm is recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the Clinical Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI) for the diagnosis of HIV (refer to http://www.arupconsult.com/Topics/HIV.html).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012670||HIV-1/2 Ab Differentiation Immunoassay||8251-1|
|2012673||HIV Serologic Interpretation||80203-3|
- HIV Diagnosis
- HIV Multispot
- HIV-1 & 2 Antibody Differentiation
- HIV-1 and HIV-2 Antibody Differentiation
- HIV-1 Antibody by Multispot
- Human Immunodeficiency Virus 1/2 (HIV-1/2) Antibody, Differentiation With Reflex to HIV-1 RNA