Detects PAX8-PPARG gene fusions associated with thyroid cancer.
Assay: Mon, Thu
- Patient Preparation
- Tumor tissue.
- Specimen Preparation
- Formalin fix (10 percent neutral buffered formalin) and paraffin embed tissue. Protect from excessive heat. Transport tissue block or 5 unstained 5-micron slides. (Min: 3 slides) Tissue block will be returned after testing.
A Fine Needle Aspirate (FNA) smear may also be submitted. Prepare FNA smear with Diff-Quik or equivalent stain by standard methods (air-dried slides are preferred). Number of slides needed is dependent on the tumor cellularity of the smear. (Min: 1 slide) Slide(s) will be destroyed during testing process and will not be returned to client.
Transport of block and/or slide(s) in a tissue transport kit is preferred (ARUP supply #47808) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
Also acceptable: FNA specimens stored in saline, PreservCyt or CytoLyt.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated. Ship in cooled container during summer months.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Less than 10 percent tumor. Specimens fixed/processed in alternative fixatives (alcohol, Prefer) or heavy metal fixatives. Decalcified specimens. FNA smears with less than 50 tumor cells.
- Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
FNA cells in Saline: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Indefinitely
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2012602||PAX8-PPARG Translocation Result||79209-3|