Therapeutic monitoring in patients receiving sodium nitroprusside therapy. Screen for thiocyanate poisoning.
- Patient Preparation
- Plain Red, Lavender (K2EDTA), Lavender (K3EDTA), or Pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Whole blood. Gel Separator Tubes, Light Blue (Sodium Citrate), or Yellow (SPS or ACD Solution).
- Please indicate in the supplied fields:
1. Dose - List drug amount and include the units of measure
2. Route - List the route of administration (IV, oral, etc.)
3. Dose Frequency - Indicate how often the dose is administered (per day, per week, as needed, etc.)
4. Type of Draw - Indicate the type of blood draw (Peak, Trough, Random, etc.)
- Ambient: 5 days; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 5 days
Smoker: 3-12 µg/mL
Toxic: Greater than 50 µg/mL
Values seen with nitroprusside therapy: 6-29 µg/mL
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2011577||Thiocyanate Dose Frequency|
|2011579||Thiocyanate Type of Draw|
- Nipride, Metabolite of
- Nitropress Administration
- Nitroprusside Metabolite
- Sodium Nitroprusside