Limited utility as an indicator of deficiency; concentration does not correlate well with intake. Serum or plasma concentrations (0020097) are best for assessment of deficiency over short periods of time. For acute toxicity, urine concentration (0020462) may be a more reliable indicator of exposure.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patient should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, and non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 2 mL whole blood in the original collection tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparin anticoagulant. Clotted specimens.
- Ambient: Indefinitely; Refrigerated: Indefinitely; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2009374||Zinc Quantitative, Whole Blood||8245-3|