• Useful for general testing in contexts of compliance and/or abuse, primarily in the pain management population. Testing is qualitative and uses a combination of mass spectrometry as well as immunoassays with documented low false positive rates.
• Results indicate whether findings are consistent or inconsistent with supplied medication information. Refer to Medication Submission Guidelines for details.
• Secondary testing is generally not indicated but is available if confirmation or quantitation is desired.
• If medication information is not available or interpretation is not necessary, consider Pain Management Drug Panel by High-Resolution Time-of-Flight Mass Spectrometry and Enzyme Immunoassay, Urine (2007479).
- Patient Preparation
- Information on the patient's current medications must be submitted with the order. Include trade name, generic name, dosing frequency and date of last dose, if known. Alternatively, please indicate if no prescription medication or drugs are being taken.
- Random urine.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 4 mL each into two (2) ARUP Standard Transport Tubes urine with no additives or preservatives. (Min: 2 mL each)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles.
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 month; Frozen: 3 years
|Drugs covered and range of cutoff concentrations. |
Note that some drugs are identified based on the presence of unique drug metabolites not listed below.
|Drugs/Drug Classes||Range of Cutoff Concentrations|
alprazolam, clonazepam, diazepam, lorazepam, midazolam, nordiazepam, oxazepam, temazepam, zolpidem
|20 - 60 ng/mL|
|Cannabinoids (11-nor-9-carboxy-THC)||20 ng/mL|
|Ethyl Glucuronide||500 ng/mL|
buprenorphine, codeine, fentanyl, heroin, hydrocodone, hydromorphone, meperidine, methadone, morphine, oxycodone, oxymorphone, propoxyphene, tapentadol, tramadol
|Phencyclidine (PCP)||25 ng/mL|
amphetamine, cocaine, methamphetamine, methylphenidate, MDMA (Ecstasy), MDEA (Eve), MDA, phentermine
The absence of expected drug(s) and/or drug metabolite(s) may indicate non-compliance, inappropriate timing of specimen collection relative to drug administration, poor drug absorption, diluted/adulterated urine, or limitations of testing. The concentration must be greater than or equal to the cutoff concentration to be reported as present. If specific drug concentrations are required, contact the laboratory within two weeks of specimen collection to request confirmation and quantification by a second analytical technique. Interpretive questions should be directed to the laboratory.
Results based on immunoassay detection that do not match clinical expectations should be interpreted with caution. Confirmatory testing by mass spectrometry for immunoassay-based results is available if ordered within two weeks of specimen collection. Additional charges apply.
For medical purposes only; not valid for forensic use.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2007636||Codeine (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||3507-1|
|2007637||Morphine (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||3830-7|
|2007638||6-acetylmorphine (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||10976-9|
|2007640||Oxycodone (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||10998-3|
|2007641||Noroxycodone (cutoff 100 ng/mL)||61424-8|
|2007642||Oxymorphone (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||11247-4|
|2007643||Noroxymorphone (cutoff 100 ng/mL)|
|2007644||Hydrocodone (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||12308-3|
|2007646||Norhydrocodone (cutoff 100 ng/mL)||61421-4|
|2007647||Hydromorphone (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||9834-3|
|2007649||Buprenorphine (cutoff 5 ng/mL)||3414-0|
|2007651||Norbuprenorphine (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||58362-5|
|2007652||Fentanyl (cutoff 2 ng/mL)||11235-9|
|2007653||Norfentanyl (cutoff 2 ng/mL)||43199-9|
|2007654||Meperidine metabolite (cutoff 50 ng/mL)||3746-5|
|2007655||Tapentadol (cutoff 100 ng/mL)||72485-6|
|2007656||Tapentadol-o-Sulf (cutoff 200 ng/mL)|
|2007658||Methadone (cutoff 150 ng/mL)||3773-9|
|2007659||Propoxyphene (cutoff 300 ng/mL)||19141-1|
|2007660||Tramadol (cutoff 200 ng/mL)||43219-5|
|2007662||Amphetamine (cutoff 100 ng/mL)||19343-3|
|2007663||Methamphetamine (cutoff 400 ng/mL)||3779-6|
|2007664||MDMA- Ecstasy (cutoff 200 ng/mL)||14267-9|
|2007665||MDA (cutoff 200 ng/mL)||42253-5|
|2007666||MDEA- Eve (cutoff 200 ng/mL)||61048-5|
|2007668||Phentermine (cutoff 100 ng/mL)||3957-8|
|2007670||Benzoylecgonine (cutoff 150 ng/mL)||3393-6|
|2007672||Alprazolam (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||9351-8|
|2007673||Alpha-OH-Alprazolam (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||61036-0|
|2007674||Clonazepam (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||19245-0|
|2007675||7-Aminoclonazepam (cutoff 40 ng/mL)||61030-3|
|2007676||Diazepam (cutoff 50 ng/mL)||3550-1|
|2007677||Nordiazepam (cutoff 50 ng/mL)||3861-2|
|2007678||Oxazepam (cutoff 50 ng/mL)||12361-2|
|2007679||Temazepam (cutoff 50 ng/mL)||61060-0|
|2007680||Lorazepam (cutoff 60 ng/mL)||18187-5|
|2007681||Midazolam (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||19585-9|
|2007682||Zolpidem (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||33338-5|
|2007684||Barbiturates (cutoff 200 ng/mL)||3377-9|
|2007687||Ethyl Glucuronide (cutoff 500 ng/mL)||55349-5|
|2007688||Marijuana Metabolite (cutoff 20 ng/mL)||3435-5|
|2007689||PCP (cutoff 25 ng/mL)||3936-2|
|2007690||Carisoprodol (cut-off 100 ng/mL)||21142-5|
|2007691||Pain Management Drug Panel||8251-1|
|2009289||EER Pain Mgt Pan, High Res/EMIT, Interp||11526-1|
|2009291||Pain Management Drug Panel Interp||48767-8|
|2013281||Methylphenidate (cutoff 100 ng/mL)||61058-4|
- Comprehensive hybrid
- high res
- Pain management, (drug screen, targeted, urine)