Use for prognostication in heart failure. Test complements prognostic value of N-terminal pro-brain natriuretic peptide (NT-proBNP).
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube (SST) or plain red
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow serum specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transport 1 mL serum. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Specimens stored or transported at room temperature for more than 48 hours. Severely hemolyzed specimens
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 4 months (Avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
Less than or equal to 22.1 ng/mL
Low risk: less than or equal to 17.8 ng/mL
Intermediate risk: 17.9-25.9 ng/mL;
Higher risk: Greater than 25.9 ng/mL.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|