Monitor patient adherence.
- Patient Preparation
- Collect specimen 1-6 hours after dose administration.
- Gray (sodium fluoride/potassium oxalate). Also acceptable: Plain red, green (sodium heparin), lavender (EDTA), or pink (K2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 2 mL serum or plasma to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube and freeze within 6 hours of collection. (Min: 1 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Lt. blue (sodium citrate). Hemolyzed specimens.
- Please indicate in the supplied fields
1. Dose - List drug amount of drug and include the units of measure
2. Route - List the route of administration (IV, oral, etc.)
3. Dose Frequency - Indicate how often the dose is administered (per day, per week or as needed, etc.)
4. Type of Draw - Indicate the type of blood draw (Peak, Trough, Random, etc.)
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 3 months
|Drugs Covered||Cutoff Concentrations|
|Ritalinic acid||10 ng/mL|
Positive Cutoff: Methylphenidate: 1 ng/mL
Ritalinic acid: 10 ng/mL
For medical purposes only; not valid for forensic use.
The absence of expected drug(s) and/or drug metabolite(s) may indicate non-compliance, inappropriate timing of specimen collection relative to drug administration, poor drug absorption, or limitations of testing. The concentration value must be greater than or equal to the cutoff to be reported as positive. Interpretive questions should be directed to the laboratory.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2003022||Ritalinic acid, S/P, Quant||32153-9|
|2003023||Methylphenidate, S/P, Quant||3807-5|
|2011528||Methylphenidate Dose Frequency|
|2011530||Methylphenidate Type of Draw|
- Ritalin blood level
- Ritalinic Acid