Measurement of fecal fats can be useful in establishing a diagnosis of pancreatic disease. Testing requires the submission of an entire 72-hour stool collection.
For random stool collections, order Fat, Fecal Qualitative (0020385)
For testing of an aliquot from a 24-, 48-, or 72-hour stool collection, order Fat, Fecal Quantitative, Homogenized Aliquot (2002350)
For complete 24-hour stool collections, order Fat, Fecal Quantitative, 24-Hour Collection (Includes Homogenization) (2002354)
For complete 48-hour stool collections, order Fat, Fecal Quantitative, 48-Hour Collection (Includes Homogenization) (2002355)
- Patient Preparation
- The patient should be on a diet consisting of 50 to 150 g of fat per day for 3 days prior to the study. Non-absorbable fat substitutes, such as olestra, should be avoided prior to collection.
- 72-hour stool. Refrigerate during collection. Provide patient a Timed Stool Collection Kit (ARUP supply #44192) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Specimen Preparation
- Refer to instructions in Stool Collection-Timed Specimens (24, 48, 72 Hours) under Specimen Handling at http://www.aruplab.com. Submit entire 72-hour stool collection in an ARUP approved transport container(s) provided in kit using additional containers as needed for the full collection (available separately, ARUP supply #28077). (Min: 4 g)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Random collections. Specimens containing barium or charcoal. Specimens in media or preservatives. Containers larger than 500 mL (500 g), such as paint cans, will be rejected and discarded.
- Ambient: 1 hour; Refrigerated: 4 days; Frozen: 2 weeks
6 years and older: 0.0-6.0 g/24h
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020377||Fecal Total Weight||30078-0|
|0060772||Fat, Fecal Quantitative 72-Hour||2271-5|
- Fecal fat 72 hour and homogenization