For HPV testing, only FDA-cleared sample preservative (ie, ThinPrep) is recommended. Refer to Cytology, ThinPrep Pap Test and Human Papillomavirus (HPV), High Risk, E6/E7 mRNA by Transcription-Mediated Amplification (TMA) (for routine co-testing in women over 30) (2000136).
- Patient Preparation
- Cervical specimen in a SurePath collection kit, Rovers Cervex-Brush Kit (ARUP Supply #22216), PAP Perfect Plastic Spatula and Cytobrush Plus GT Collection Kit (ARUP Supply #41126), or Rovers Cervex-Brush Combi Collection Kit (ARUP Supply #45031) available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787. For specific instructions refer to Specimen Collection and Handling.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport cervical specimen in the original collection kit.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens not collected in a SurePath collection kit. Expired preservative vials or vials received without the collection devices.
- Ambient: 1 month; Refrigerated: 6 months; Frozen: Unacceptable
The Pap test is a screening test for cervical cancer and its precursors with an inherent false-negative rate.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|2000473||SurePath Pap Specimen Source|
- Pap Smear and HPV testing
- Pap Test, (SurePath Liquid-Based Pap Test)
- SurePath Pap Test and HR Hybrid Capture