Useful in the assessment of acute toxicity. For chronic exposure and the assessment of cadmium body burden, Cadmium, Urine (0025040) is preferred.
- Patient Preparation
- Diet, medication, and nutritional supplements may introduce interfering substances. Patients should be encouraged to discontinue nutritional supplements, vitamins, minerals, non-essential over-the-counter medications (upon the advice of their physician).
- Royal blue (K2EDTA or Na2EDTA).
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 7 mL whole blood in the original collection tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Also acceptable: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparin anticoagulant. Frozen specimens.
- Trace Elements requisition form may be required (ARUP form #32990).
- If the specimen is drawn and stored in the appropriate container, the trace element values do not change with time.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Blood concentration, cadmium