May use to predict survival in patients treated for metastatic breast, prostate, and colorectal cancers. May use to evaluate response to therapy.
- Patient Preparation
- If the patient is on doxorubicin therapy, allow at least 7 days following administration of a dose of doxorubicin before blood draw.
- CellSave Preservative tube (ARUP supply # 44867). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 20 mL whole blood. (Min: 10 mL) The minimum collection amount will not allow for repeat testing.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Do not refrigerate or freeze.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Frozen or refrigerated specimens. Specimens not collected in the CellSave tube or collected in expired CellSave tubes. Short draws.
- REQUIRED ORDER INFORMATION: Source of metastatic cancer. This assay is FDA approved only for breast, colorectal, or prostate metastatic cancers; other types will not be tested.
- Ambient: 4 days; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
For additional information, refer to the Breast Cancer Management Assays, Prostate Cancer, or Colorectal Cancer topic at arupconsult.com.
The results of a CellSearch test should be interpreted with caution if specimens are drawn within 7 days of administration of doxorubicin therapy.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0093400||Circulating Tumor Cell Number|
|0093401||Patient History - Metastatic Cancer Type||63929-4|
|2007444||EER Circulating Tumor Cell Count||11526-1|
- Cell Search
- Circulating Tumor Cells, Breast, Colon, Prostate