• Use for infant drug testing when only cannabinoid (marijuana) exposure is of clinical interest or when quantity of meconium available for testing is very small (eg, <1 g).
• Preferred test is Drugs of Abuse Panel, Meconium - Screen with Reflex to Confirmation/Quantitation (0092516).
- Patient Preparation
- All meconium (blackish material) excreted until milk/formula based stool (yellow-green) appears.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 0.5 g (equivalent to 1/2 inch cube) for each separate confirmation required. (Min: 0.13 g or 1/4 inch cube)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 3 months; Frozen: 1 year
Positive cutoff: 5 ng/g
Meconium begins to form between the 12th and 16th week of gestation. Meconium drug testing can detect maternal drug use during the last 4 to 5 months of pregnancy. A negative result does not exclude the possibility that a mother used drugs during pregnancy. Detection of drug use depends on the quantity and quality of the specimen tested as well as the pattern and frequency of drug(s) used by mother. The concentration value must be greater than or equal to the cutoff to be reported as positive. Interpretive questions should be directed to the laboratory.
For medical purposes only; not valid for forensic use.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0092316||Drug Confirmation, Cannabinoids, Mec||27024-9|