Surveillance and monitoring of hepatocellular carcinoma.
Quantitative Liquid Chromatography/Immunoassay
This test is New York DOH approved.
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 8 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 3 months (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
| ||Alpha Fetoprotein Total
| ||Alpha Fetoprotein L3 Percent
The µTASWako method is used. Results obtained with different assay methods or kits cannot be used interchangeably. The AFP L3 Percent assay is intended as a risk assessment for the development of hepatocellular carcinoma in patients with chronic liver diseases. Patients with elevated serum AFP-L3 percent should be more intensely evaluated for evidence of hepatocellular carcinoma since elevated values have been shown to be associated with a seven-fold increase in the risk for developing hepatocellular carcinoma within 21 months. For pregnant females, the result is not interpretable as a tumor marker.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0081207||Alpha Fetoprotein Total|
|0081209||Alpha Fetoprotein L3 Pct|
* Component test codes cannot be used to order tests. The information provided here is not sufficient for interface builds; for a complete test mix, please click the sidebar link to access the Interface Map.
- Alpha Fetoprotein
- Alpha Fetoprotein, Total and L3 Percent
- Alpha-Fetoprotein (AFP) L3% and Total, Hepatocellular Carcinoma Tumor Marker, Serum
- Alpha-fetoprotein, Total
- Hepatocellular Carcinoma AFP
- Total AFP