Order this test for PREGNANT FEMALE patients only. For males or non-pregnant females, refer to Alpha Fetoprotein, Serum (Tumor Marker) (0080428).
- Patient Preparation
- Specimen must be drawn between 14 weeks, 0 days and 24 weeks, 6 days gestation.
- Serum separator tube or plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum from cells ASAP or within 2 hours of collection. Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Specimens exposed to repeated freeze/thaw cycles. Hemolyzed specimens.
- The following information is required and must accompany the specimen in order for testing to be interpreted: patient's date of birth, current weight, due date, dating method (US, LMP), number of fetuses present, patient's race, if the patient was diabetic at the time of conception, if there is a known family history of neural tube defects, if the patient has had a previous pregnancy with a chromosome abnormality, if the patient is taking valproic acid or carbamazepine (Tegretol), physician's name and phone number; and for in vitro fertilization pregnancies, the age of the egg donor.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 year
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0080241||Estimated Due Date||11778-8|
|0080918||MoM for AFP||20450-3|
|0080920||Maternal Screen Interpretation||49586-1|
|0080924||Insulin Req Maternal Diabetes||44877-9|
|0080925||Family Hx Neural Tube Defect||8670-2|
|0080927||Number of Fetuses||11878-6|
|0080932||Maternal Age At Delivery||21612-7|
|0080938||Gestational Age (Exact)||18185-9|
|0081158||Family History of Aneuploidy||32435-0|
- AFP Maternal Screening
- AFP Neural Tube Defects
- Maternal Screening, AFP Single Marker