- Patient Preparation
- Patients should abstain, if possible, from medications, over-the-counter drugs, and herbal remedies for at least 72 hours prior to the test. Foods rich in serotonin (avocados, bananas, eggplant, pineapple, plums, tomatoes, walnuts) and medications that may affect metabolism of serotonin must be avoided at least 72 hours before and during collection of urine for HIAA.
- 24-hour or random urine. Refrigerate 24-hour specimens during collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 4 mL aliquot from a well-mixed 24-hour or random collection to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 1 mL) Record total volume and collection time interval on transport tube and test request form.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Any sample except urine.
- Please see Note for a more comprehensive list of dietary restrictions.
- Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 2 weeks
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
|5-HIAA, Urine||0.0-15.0 mg/d|
|5-HIAA, Urine||The HIAA-to-creatinine ratio will be reported whenever the urine collection is random or other than 24 hours, or the urine volume is less than 400 mL/24 hours.|
0-14 mg/g crt
|Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|| |
Decreased HIAA: Aspirin, chlorpromazine (Thorazine), corticotropin, dihydroxyphenylacetic acid, alcohol, gentisic acid, homogentisic acid, hydrazine derivatives, imipramine (Tofranil®), isocarboxazid (Marplan), keto acids, levodopa, MAO inhibitors, methenamine, methyldopa (Aldomet®), perchlorperazine, phenothiazines (Compazine®), promazine, promethazine (Mepergan®).
Increased HIAA: Acetaminophen, acetanilide, caffeine, coumaric acid, diazepam (Valium®), ephedrine, fluorouracil, glycerol guaiacolate (Guaifenesin), melphalan (Alkeran®), mephenesin, methamphetamine (Desoxyn), methocarbamol (Robaxin®), naproxen, nicotine, phenacetin, phenmetrazine, phenobarbital, phentolamine, rauwolfia, reserpine.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name|
|0020207||Creatinine, Urine - per volume|
|0020208||Creatinine, Urine - per 24h|
|0080238||5-HIAA Urine Interpretation|
|0080320||5-HIAA Urine - per 24h|
|0080321||5-HIAA Urine - per volume|
|0081343||5-HIAA Urine - ratio to CRT|
- 5-OH-Indoleacetic Acid
- Hydroxyindoleacetic Acid
- Serotonin Metabolite