- Patient Preparation
- Actively growing organism in pure culture.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport sealed container with pure culture on agar slant in anaerobic transport pouch or on a swab in anaerobic transport media. Place each specimen in an individually sealed bag.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. If culture is suspected of being a microorganism identified on the IATA list as an infectious substance affecting humans, submit specimen according to Biological Substance, Category A, shipping guidelines.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Mixed cultures or non-viable organisms.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 72 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Testing performed and associated charges billed depends on specimen source and type of organism suspected. An additional processing fee will be billed for all mixed cultures, as indicated in specimen requirements.
Submission of mixed cultures will result in delayed turnaround time and increased charges. Isolation of organism should be ensured prior to submission. Order a separate test for each organism identification required.
For identification by 16s rDNA sequencing only, order Organism Identification by 16s rDNA Sequencing (ARUP test code 0060720). For identification AND susceptibility testing order Anaerobic Organism Identification with Reflex to Susceptibility (ARUP test code 0060198).
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0060164||Organism Identification, Anaerobic|
- Actinomyces Identification
- Anaerobe Identification
- Identification, Anaerobic Bacteria
- Organism Identification, Anaerobe
- Organism Referred for Identification, Anaerobic Bacteria