Identify bacteria in tissues. Anaerobe culture is recommended for body fluids, tissue, and deep wound/surgical cultures. Refer to Anaerobe Culture and Gram Stain (0060143).
Preliminary: 1 day
Final: Negative at 5 days
- Patient Preparation
- Tissue or biopsy.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer tissue to a sterile container and place on gauze moistened with sterile non-bacteriostatic saline to prevent drying. Also acceptable: Transfer to anaerobe transport media (ARUP supply #16426). Available online through eSupply using ARUP Connect™ or contact ARUP Client Services at (800) 522-2787.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Formalinized specimens. Dry specimens.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Identification and susceptibility tests are performed on positive cultures.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- Culture, Tissue
- Qualitative Tissue Culture