Quantify Epstein-Barr virus (EBV) viral load as an aid in monitoring EBV-related disease.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA), Pink (K2EDTA), or Serum Separator Tube (SST). Also acceptable: CSF.
- Specimen Preparation
- Separate serum or plasma from cells. Transfer 1 mL serum, plasma, whole blood, or CSF to a sterile container. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
Whole Blood: Refrigerated.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Heparinized specimens.
- Specimen source required.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: 1 year
Whole Blood: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: 1 week; Frozen: 1 week
A negative result (less than 2.6 log copies/mL or less than 390 copies/mL) does not rule out the presence of PCR inhibitors in the patient specimen, or EBV DNA nucleic acid in concentrations below the level of detection of the assay. Inhibition may also lead to underestimation of viral quantitation.
No international standard is currently available for calibration of this assay. Caution should be taken when interpreting results generated by different assay methodologies.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0051338||EBV by Quantitative PCR, Source||31208-2|
|0051351||EBV by Quantitative PCR, Log copy/mL||53774-6|
|0051821||EBV by Quantitative PCR, Interp||5005-4|
|2002318||EBV by Quantitative PCR, Copy/mL||32585-2|
- EBV Quant PCR
- EBV Quant PCR Whole Blood
- EBV quantitative
- Human herpesvirus 4
- Viral load monitoring