Not recommended for herpes simplex virus (HSV) testing; IgM lacks adequate predictive value for acute infection. If pursing antibody testing, refer to Herpes Simplex Type 1 and Type 2 Glycoprotein G-Specific Antibodies, IgG by CIA (0051152). If acute HSV infection is suspected, molecular testing is preferred (refer to Herpes Simplex Virus by PCR (0060041)).
- Patient Preparation
- Serum separator tube.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transfer 1 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL) Parallel testing is preferred and convalescent specimens must be received within 30 days from receipt of the acute specimens. Mark specimens plainly as "acute" or "convalescent."
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Refer to individual components. CSF (refer to Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and/or 2 Antibodies, IgG & IgM (CSF) with Reflex to Type 1 & 2 Glycoprotein G-Specific Ab, IgG, test code 0050364).Refer to individual components.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 2 weeks; Frozen: 1 year (avoid repeated freeze/thaw cycles)
|Test Number||Components||Reference Interval|
| ||HSV Type 1/2 Combined Ab, IgG||0.89 IV or less: Not Detected.|
0.90-1.09 IV: Indeterminate - Repeat testing in 10-14 days may be helpful.
1.10 IV or greater: Detected.
|0050641||Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 and/or 2 Antibodies, IgM by ELISA|
|0050292||Herpes Simplex Virus Type 1 Glycoprotein G-Specific Antibody, IgG by CIA|
|0050294||Herpes Simplex Virus Type 2 Glycoprotein G-Specific Antibody, IgG by CIA|
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0050286||HSV Type 1/2 Combined Ab, IgG||27948-9|
|0050641||HSV 1 and/or 2 Abs, IgM by ELISA||41399-7|
- glycoprotein type-specific reactivity
- Herpes Simplex Antibodies, IgG IgM serology
- Herpes Simplex serology
- HSV F antibody
- HSV 1, 2 IgG IgM
- HSV 1,2
- HSV 1,2 and glycoprotein reflex
- HSV 1,2 glycoprotein
- HSV glycoprotein G
- HSV glycoprotein G-based type-specific serology