Determine myeloid lineage in AML per WHO classification. Less sensitive and specific than flow cytometry immunophenotype.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA) or green (sodium or lithium heparin) or heparinized aspirate of bone marrow.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained push smears AND 5 mL whole blood (smears should be made from the blood submitted). OR 6 unfixed, air-dried, and unstained bone marrow aspirate smears.
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Blood specimens must be received within 24 hours of collection; testing must be performed within 48 hours of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Frozen specimens. Peripheral blood smears older than one week. Anticoagulated blood or bone marrow sent without well-prepared unfixed smears if greater than 48 hours old.
- Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
- MPO Stain
- Peroxidase Stain