- Patient Preparation
- Whole blood. Invert tube several times immediately following procurement of blood, at time of collection.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 5 mL whole blood (Min: 0.1 mL) and 6 unfixed push smears. (Min: 2 unfixed push smears)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Most recent CBC report, patient history, clinical indications and physician's name and telephone number are required.
Further information on how to make an adequate slide, in the form of an instructional video, can be found at: <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3NwrlpS40&feature=youtu.be>
- Whole Blood: Ambient: 48 hours; Refrigerated: 48 hours; Frozen: Unacceptable Unfixed Push Smears: Ambient: 5 days; Refrigerated: 5 days; Frozen: Unacceptable
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|