Anatomic Pathology Test Request Form Recommended (ARUP form #32960)
- Patient Preparation
- Green (sodium or lithium heparin).
- Specimen Preparation
- Protect both smears and whole blood from light and pack accordingly to avoid breakage. Transport 5 mL whole blood (Min: 1 mL) AND 6 unfixed, well-prepared smears (Min: 6 smears)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Room temperature. Send Sunday through Thursday only. Whole blood must be received within 24 hours of collection; smears must be made within 24 hours of collection and received within 7 days of collection.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens collected in EDTA. Poorly prepared smears (too thick or no feather edge). Broken or fixed smears. Specimens that have been spun. Smears made from anything other than heparin. Smears made from blood older than 24 hours. Whole blood not protected from light. Smears not protected from light.
- Further information on how to make an adequate smear can be found in the following instructional video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ca3NwrlpS40&feature=youtube
- Blood: Ambient: 24 hours; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Unfixed Smears: Ambient: 1 week; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: Unacceptable
Male: 22-124 (no units)
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0049000||Leukocyte Alkaline Phosphatase||4659-9|