Useful as an indicator of chronic exposure to lead, primarily in the industrial setting. For iron deficiency assessment, Iron and Iron Binding Capacity (0020420) and Ferritin (0070065) are recommended. For lead exposure assessment, Lead Blood (Venous) (0020098) is preferred. For occupational exposure to lead assessment, Zinc Protoporphyrin (ZPP) Whole Blood Industrial (0020614) or Lead Industrial Exposure Panel, Adults (0025016) are recommended.
- Patient Preparation
- Lavender (EDTA); Royal blue, (EDTA), tan (EDTA), or pink (K2 EDTA). Use royal blue (EDTA) tube when also testing for lead.
- Specimen Preparation
- Transport 1 mL whole blood. (Min: 0.2 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Specimens not collected in EDTA. Clotted, frozen, or hemolyzed specimens.
- Ambient: 30 hours; Refrigerated: 5 weeks; Frozen: Unacceptable
A more specific test for free protoporphyrin is Porphyrins, Serum Total (0080429). Erythrocyte Porphyrin (EP), Whole Blood (0020610), measures free protoporphyrin and zinc protoporphyrin.
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020606||Zinc Protoporphyrin (ZPP) WholeBld Ratio||29763-0|
- ZPP/Heme Ratio