Total acid phosphatase (AP) activity may be useful when evaluating for prostate cancer, Paget's disease, hyperparathyroidism with skeletal involvement, and Gaucher's disease since elevations in AP activity occur in these conditions.
- Patient Preparation
- Plain red.
- Specimen Preparation
- Allow specimen to clot completely at room temperature. Transfer 1.5 mL serum to an ARUP Standard Transport Tube. (Min: 0.5 mL)
- Storage/Transport Temperature
- CRITICAL FROZEN. Separate specimens must be submitted when multiple tests are ordered.
- Unacceptable Conditions
- Plasma. Non-frozen specimens. Hemolyzed specimens.
- After separation from cells: Ambient: Unacceptable; Refrigerated: Unacceptable; Frozen: 1 month
|Component Test Code*||Component Chart Name||LOINC|
|0020544||Acid Phosphatase, Total, Serum||12173-1|